Thursday, June 18, 2009

Trying to save some money.

I have been trying to find easy ways to save some money on day to day items. Recently I made my own laundry soap (it turned out really well) and now I have made my own dryer sheets. It is so easy I can't imagine buying the expensive stuff again. This is where I found the recipe and it is a great website that I will use a lot in the future . . . http://tipnut.com/frugral-fabric-softener-recipes-dryer-sheet-tips/


To make homemade dryer sheets you need fabric softener, so I just made my own.

Get a bowl at least twice the size of the amount you are going to make because the ingredients fizzle up. I also put it in the sink just in case.






Put one part baking soda and two parts hot water into the bowl and mix. Add one part vinegar (this is when it fizzles). This makes the fabric softener. I put it in an old Powerade bottle.

*Tip- shake the mixture everytime before you use it, the baking soda settles on the bottom



















Now I found an old flannel pillow case, you can use any old flannel whatever. Cut it into about 3" by 5" squares. I use a index card for reference.































Put the squares in a container. Mix 4 tablespoons of fabric softener and 10 tablespoons of water and pour it over the squares. Let this sit for a couple of days.

Put one square in per load.



Next I am going to try dishwasher soap. In the long run I will be saving a lot of money and it doesn't change my lifestyle all that much. I highly recommend it.


3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so cool. I love how you have pictures to go with all the steps. Matthew is allergic to dryer sheets but this sounds awesome. I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try those dryer sheet and I have a friend who would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Why on EARTH did you cut up that FABULOUS pillow case???!

    ReplyDelete